Job vacancy details
The governors of Kelsall Primary School are seeking to recruit a School Cook to provide nutritious, balanced, value for money meals to children and staff every day during term time. The successful applicant will be hardworking and able to demonstrate experience in busy kitchens.
The hours of work are Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 2.00pm, during term time (27.5 hours per week). The post holder will also be required to work an additional 3 days per year during school holidays to lead the deep cleaning of the kitchen. The rate of pay is £9.55 - £9.94 per hour with 25 days (pro-rata) paid holiday per year, rising to 30 days after five years’ service. There is also a generous employers’ contribution to the Local Government Pension Scheme.
The governing body is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons in our community. We are committed to safeguarding and protecting the welfare of our children and expect all staff to share this commitment. Our recruitment and selection practices reflect this commitment and therefore all applications should be made on the Cheshire Academies Trust application form. We do not accept C.V.’s. Successful candidates will be subject to Disclosure and Barring Service checks, along with other relevant pre-employment checks including reference requests from their current or most recent employer prior to interview
- Timely ordering of food from agreed suppliers
- Following set menus according to a fixed budget and following guidelines on allergens, nutrition and healthy eating
- Maintain the highest possible standards of cleanliness
- Monitoring and managing supplies within a budget
- Supervising the work of catering staff, including allocation of duties and work rotas
- Developing relationships with colleagues and food suppliers
- Liaising with the school office and the Trust’s catering manager
- Complying with food safety legislation and school and policies
- Maintaining records
Other ad-hoc duties may include:
- Providing catering for meetings or training centre activities
- Liaising with site staff and contractors regarding maintenance issues
- Supervising deep cleans
- Attending termly cooks meetings
This list of responsibilities is not exhaustive. The successful candidate may be requested to complete alternative tasks or duties as deemed to be within their remit by their line manager or another senior member of staff.
Our successful candidate will be able to demonstrate that they are hardworking, committed and keen to become part of our TEAM, where the highest possible standards are demanded from all members of staff. They will have excellent communication skills and standards of hygiene. They will be organised and methodical and have catering experience.
It is essential that the successful candidate is able to demonstrate experience of working in a kitchen in a supervisory capacity. Previous experience of working in a school or child related setting is desirable but not essential as training will be provided.
All applicants must hold or be willing to gain a Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering. A Level 3 Award in Supervising Food Safety is desirable.
Closing Date: 31st January 2020 - 9am
Shortlisting: 31st January 2020 – 12pm
Interviews: 6th February 2020 - 2.30pm onwards
Applications can be downloaded or obtained from: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications to be returned to: email@example.com